Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
6. Home Insulation
- Determine the type of insulation in your walls, attic, and floors. Research how effective your current insulation is compared to other types of insulation.
- Determine the type(s) of windows installed in your home. Research how effective they are compared to other types of windows.
- Contact your power company and find out if there are any rebates or credits available for upgrading the insulation in your home.
- Share your findings on The Farmgirl Connection chatroom or with a neighbor.
- Test your home for air tightness. On a windy day, hold a lit incense stick next to your windows, doors, electrical boxes, plumbing fixtures, electrical outlets, ceiling fixtures, attic hatch, and other places where air may leak. If the smoke stream travels horizontally, you have located an air leak that may need caulking, sealing, or weather stripping.
- Seal any air leak that you find. Annie, get your (caulk) gun!
- If you have an un-insulated or under-insulated wall, attic, or floor, install new insulation with a higher R value. If applicable, apply for an energy credit to help offset the cost.
- Help a friend install new insulation in her home.
- Help a friend test her home for air tightness and assist with sealing any air leaks.
February, 2014 Edition