Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
20. Kitchen Renegade
For this badge, you get to choose your own kitchen adventure! What have you always wanted to try? Wine making? Home brewing? Perfecting pickled vegetables? Growing culinary mushrooms? No matter how fringe, obscure, or specific, this is the place for all your ambitious kitchen endeavors.
- Every kitchen maven knows that when it comes to food processing, safety always comes first. Once you've chosen your latest culinary adventure, start by thinking safety. What are the most common food-safety concerns surrounding your project?
- What are the best sanitary practices relating to your project?
- What other steps will you take to ensure the safety of your finished project?
- Make a list of any equipment you'll need to get started and gather it up.
- What are you waiting for?! Dive in and be sure to keep detailed notes along the way. These will prove to be an invaluable resource when you're trying to replicate a result or trying to troubleshoot something.
- Sample the results of your first trial. Are you happy with how it turned out? What did you learn in the process? Is there anything you would do differently next time?
- If you were unhappy with your first trial, rework the recipe or process until you have it just right.
- Now, use your creation in a recipe! For example, if you made wine, create a marinade or cream sauce. Grew culinary mushrooms? Share your favorite way to use them.
- Flex your photography muscle, snap a picture, and include it on your application.
January, 2021 Edition