Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
6. 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!)
- Make row markers out of tin can lids using the punched tin method. For stakes, scavenge strong sticks native to your area or come up with some creative recycled stakes.
- Learn to sharpen your own garden tools.
- Get into the habit of wiping down your tools and putting them away properly. Don’t forget to care for and regularly oil wooden handles. To get into this habit, practice good tool care for at least three months.
- Make a female scarecrow. Use old clothes and stuff her with real straw. Take pictures and share them with your Farmgirl Chapter if you are a member of one, or post a photo on the Farmgirl Connection chatroom.
- Find ways to use your broken equipment and gardening supplies in creative ways. Use old plates as a garden border or embed broken bits of clay pots into homemade stepping stones. Use your imagination. Use old watering cans as planters or even old boots.
- Contact your state’s Adopt-a-Highway program. Get your family or your Farmgirl Chapter involved in cleaning up around your town.
January, 2008 Edition