Earning Young Cultivator Merit Badges
1. Bloom Where You’re Planted
- Collect five native flowers and press them.
- When dry, decoupage or in some way mount them onto a piece of paper. Next to the flower, write a brief description of their habitat or where you found them.
- Show and tell. Share with your mentoring Sister, family, a school or homeschool club, a local Farmgirl Chapter, or a Young Cultivators group what you have learned.
- Find the scientific names for the flowers and learn to pronounce them. If you are older, look up some more information about the plant and its habitat, and see if there’s anything else of special interest. While sharing, include everything you learned.
- Plant at least one native tree or shrub in your yard that will supply much needed habitat for your neighborhood insects and birds.
January, 2010 Edition