Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
8. Staying Green
Please note, in order to apply for any level of this badge, you must have earned all three levels of the Going Green Merit Badge in Cleaning Up.
- Continue to practice and reinforce the habits developed while earning the "Going Green" Merit Badge for at least three months.
- Keep note of what is easy to maintain and any difficulties you encounter.
- Dive deeper into researching homemade "green" cleaners and home products. Is there anything missing from your collection of recipes? What have you used in the past? Were you happy with the results, or would experimenting with a new recipe be worthwhile? Look to published resources on the topic of homemade home products, such as Natural Solutions for Cleaning & Wellness by Halle Cottis. (This book is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact email@example.com.)
- Write down your favorite recipes and develop a system for safely storing your homemade cleaners and home products.
- Stock up on the basic ingredients you need on hand to make your favorite recipes as needed. Some examples include vinegar, distilled water, baking soda, washing soda, citric acid, castile soap, your favorite essential oils, etc. If you already have this, help a friend out by sharing your favorite recipes and a list of must-have basic ingredients.
- By now, thanks to your hard work, elbow grease, and a gentle nudge from the "Going Green" Merit Badge, you're a pro at hang-drying clothes and your walls and carpets (if applicable) aren't emitting volatile organic compounds. However, a farmgirl's work is never quite finished. Conduct an audit to identify areas in your home that could use some additional "greening up."
- Make a list of your top three areas in need of improvement (for example, think of ways to cut down on your electric usage by swapping out lightbulbs or replacing inefficient appliances or installing an air purifier to keep your indoor air clean). Develop a plan of action and begin implementing these changes. Your entire list need not be accomplished to earn the expert-level badge, but an 8-hour time investment is required.
January, 2021 Edition