Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
4. Knotty Farmgirls
- Gear up for an outdoor adventure by learning to tie some knotty basics: a square knot, two half hitches, and a bowline knot. Practice them on a piece of rope or cord. Research three uses for each.
- When you can build stable and secure knots, build a tree swing (as in MaryJane’s Outpost, p.68), to demonstrate your knotty knowledge.
- Learn the difference between a knot, a splice, and a hitch. Familiarize yourself with any three other knots, splices, or hitches of your choosing.
- Make your own rope and learn to splice it. Using your knowledge of rope making, make at least six feet of rope.
- Teach a friend or a Farmerette or Young Cultivator how to tie knots, or involve them in your rope-making project.
- You are one Knotty Farmgirl! Learn three new rope-making or knotting techniques and their uses.
- Make your own knotted hammock (as in MaryJane’s Ideabook, p.282) or similar project of expert level. There is a 30-hour time investment required.
- Teach at least two other people how to use a rope.
July, 2010 Edition