Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
14. Bread Making
- Learn the difference between baking powder and baking soda.
- Cook three different breads using chemical leavening agents. Describe the texture of your bread and how it’s affected by what ingredients you used. Did it change with the type of flour and leavening you used?
- Learn about different types of yeast.
- Make two different breads using yeast as your leavening agent.
- Of the two breads you make, choose one to re-make using a different type of yeast, or convert the recipe to use baking powder/soda. Let us know how it turns out! Irish Soda Bread, anyone?
- Start a wild-yeast "mother" using the instructions in MaryJane's Wild Bread book. (Copies available for loan to Sisterhood members from the farm library, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Use your "Counter Mother" to make a batch of Beginner Batter Bread. (Yikes! That sounded more awkward than it really is!) Introduce yourself in the Welcome Wagon section of WildBread.net and share your results.
- Once you've successfully advanced to the "Refrigerator Mother" phase, make two loaves of Bara Brith (p. 156) and share your results on WildBread.net (photos welcome!).
March, 2018 Edition