Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
14. Bread Making
- Learn the difference between baking powder and baking soda.
- Cook three different breads using chemical leavening agents. Describe the texture of your bread and how it’s affected by what ingredients you used. Did it change with the type of flour and leavening you used?
- Learn about different types of yeast.
- Make two different breads using yeast as your leavening agent.
- Of the two breads you make, choose one to re-make using a different type of yeast, or convert the recipe to use baking powder/soda. Let us know how it turns out! Irish Soda Bread, anyone?
January, 2015 Edition