Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
2. Forage for Food
- Contact your local extension office to find out which plants in your area are edible, where they grow, and what season is peak to forage for each. For a variety of wild edible recipes, refer to "MaryJane’s Outpost Guidebook." (This book is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Spend time in the field finding places to forage before, during, and off season. Learn to identify the plants by location, leaves and stalk characteristics.
- Forage for natural food in your area.
- Document your foraging with pictures. Take pictures of the area and of the plants themselves.
- Learn from a professional how to identify edible and non-edible fungi.
- Organize a wild mushroom hunt.
January, 2008 Edition