Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
11. Icing on the Cake
- Study and learn cake-decorating basics: filling the decorating bag, correct decorating bag position, using couplers, and all the other basics (find basics at www.wilton.com/decorating).
- Using the same website, study and learn all categories under “Decorating Cakes” or read a Wilton cake-decorating beginner’s guide or take a cake decorating class.(The book required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact email@example.com.)
- Create your own basic cake-decorating kit using the techniques you learned in the beginner badge.
- Use your cake decorating tools to bake and frost one cake for any occasion. This could be a chapter member, family member, or friend’s birthday or other special occasion. Make your own frosting and use at least three different frosting tips or designs.
- Enter a cake in your local fair or donate one for a cake auction. (Research the parameters for your local fair before beginning. There are often multiple categories, such as application of icing, difficulty of technique, theme, and flavor.) Get as creative as possible.
July, 2011 Edition