Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
2. Grow Where You’re Planted
- Collect five native flowers and press them. When dry, decoupage or in some way mount them onto a piece of paper. Next to the flower, write a brief description of their habitat and place in the ecosystem.
- Discover which plants and wildflowers are rare or endangered in your area and photograph or write a report on them. Don’t pick these!
- Research and plant at least five native non-invasive grasses or ground covers in your garden or lawn. Grab some ideas for lawn alternatives from MaryJanesFarm "Shoulder to the Wheel" issue. (Available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- If you are a member of a Farmgirl Chapter, present a brief lecture on how your chosen native plants were once a vital part of the ecosystem and how they are incorporated into your garden space or yard.
- Plant at least one (more is better!) native tree or shrub in your yard. Try to find a species that is threatened or that will supply much-needed habitat for your neighborhood insects and birds.
- Complete a Master Gardeners program through your Extension Office.
- Find and read a book called “Roots Demystified” by Robert Kourik. (The book required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact email@example.com.)
January, 2008 Edition