Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
8. Horse Dreams
- Drive around your city, community or town and admire any horses you may find.
- Try to identify the breed, making a mental note if one becomes more of a favorite and why.
- Give yourself the opportunity to “meet” one up close and personal. Either through a neighbor, farmgirl, or local riding stable or boarder.
- Research a breed. What did you discover about its origin and history?
- Read “The Soul of a Horse,” by Joe Camp. Also check out his website at www.thesoulofahorse.com (The book required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Research horse rescues in your area.
- Donate 5 hours to the care of a horse, either at a local stable, or neighbor, or with a farmgirl, learning all the ins and outs of caring for the animal.
- Once you have located a horse rescue, get involved. Let us know how you chose to make a difference in the life of these amazing animals or those that care for them.
January, 2009 Edition