Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
16. Water Management
- Research the benefits of planting native plants and list three you could add to your garden.
- Identify the type of soil you have and how this affects your watering practices.
- Research the best times to water to minimize water loss.
- What is deep watering? Is this something that would work for your garden?
- Research soil quality and its effect on water absorption and retention. Name two ways you can improve your soil quality.
- Why is mulching your garden integral to soil water retention? Which materials are best for mulching?
- Which ground covers are best for your area/soil type for water retention?
- Why are drip lines an efficient way to water? Is this something that could fit into your garden landscape?
- Research the various rain/runoff water-collection and/or water-redirection methods. Would any of these methods work for your space?
- Finally, choose at least three of the methods researched in any level of this badge and use them to better manage and reduce your garden water consumption.
January, 2021 Edition