Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
7. What’s Your Beef?
- Research the difference between grass-fed beef and that which is corporately raised. www.eatwild.com
- Read MaryJane's take on the importance of organic beef at www.maryjanesfarm.org/ieatmeat.asp
- Write down what you learned and how, if at all, it has changed your mind about the meat you eat.
- Read the book “BEEF: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World,” by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G. Fraser. (The book required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Find a local rancher who sells locally raised meats (you can use places like www.localharvest.org and www.eatwild.com ) to help in your search.
- a) Raise a beef cow of your own. When it comes time to harvest it share it with someone along with the info you have learned.
b) Find a local rancher and buy direct from him/her.
- Contact the rancher you located in the above search and ask if you can come out and interview him and tour his/her ranch.
- Share what you have learned with your local Farmgirl Chapter or online on our Farmgirl Connection
July, 2012 Edition