Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
Make It Easy
12. Collect It!
- The first step to collecting is finding your passion. A collection doesn’t need to be expensive; it just needs to speak to you. Acquire the first item of your collection (maybe you already own it) and dig deep into its history:
- Where was your piece made?
- Is there anything unique about the production process?
- How likely is there to be another item just like it?
- Does your item have a personal connection to you?
- Are there any clubs or online chatrooms for folks that share your passion?
- Look through local stores and antique shops for more items to add to your collection. Feel free to check out online stores, too.
- Keep an inventory of the items in your collection. If your collection has a monetary value, keep track of that, too.
- Create a wish list for your collection. There are always unique pieces that you would like to add to your collection but can’t. Sometimes it’s because of price and sometimes it’s because of availability. If you know what you are looking for and how much it should cost, you can keep your eyes out for bargains when browsing.
- Once you have your collection up and running, it’s time to show it off–dusty boxes are no place to keep your prized pieces! Create a space in your home that safely displays your collection. Things to protect against include, but are not limited to: dust, sunlight, heat, humidity, kids, spouses, and earthquakes.
February, 2016 Edition