Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
14. Farmgirl's Best Friend
- If you've never owned a pet before, explore the reasons why. Are you allergic? Did your parents not enjoy pets? Have you always lived in an apartment, or worked too many hours to care for one?
- If you have had pets, think back to your favorite one.
- If you could pick a pet, what would you choose and why? Research your choice and see if their temperament/availability/cost sway you to another choice. Remember, not all pets are dogs and cats. If you're allergic to dander, maybe consider a lizard or some backyard chickens.
- Offer pet-sitting services to friends and family. Try to meet as many new pets as possible. Since this badge isn't necessarily about earning money, do it for free at least once or twice.
- What have you learned? Have you decided if you're a "dog person" or a "cat lady"? Maybe you're a tarantula gal, or a pony princess.
- Seriously debate the merits of owning a pet. What would it do for your health (pros and cons)? What about if you travel a lot? Is your pet choice high maintenance or low?.
- Spend an afternoon volunteering at your local animal shelter if you can. Learn why it might be better to adopt a shelter animal than it would be to pay for a specific breed.
- Are you ready to make the commitment? If so, adopt your new farmgirl's best friend. Make sure to share photos of you and your new buddy on the Farmgirl Connection chatroom.
January, 2018 Edition