Earning Young Cultivator Merit Badges
9. Bees R Us
- Read about different kinds of bees—honeybees, bumblebees, carpenter bees—and their cousins—wasps and hornets—and learn to identify each kind.
- Once you’re armed with your new knowledge about bees, try to get over any anxiety or fear you have about them. (Now you’ll know which ones to watch out for.)
- Visit a local flower farm and see if you can identify the different pollinators that are buzzing around the flowers.
- Learn about the different kinds of honeybees in a hive and how each kind has a different job.
- Learn about honey and find out why local honey is best.
- Read our article about beekeeping in the Aug/Sept 2016 "Lollygagging" issue of MaryJanesFarm Magazine. (The magazine required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Plan a visit to a local beekeeper with your mentoring Sister, suit up in a beekeeping outfit, and get an up-close view of the hive. Have the beekeeper show you the honey supers and ask if you can help harvest it.
January, 2017 Edition