Earning Young Cultivator Merit Badges
Out There Kids
1. I Am A Survivor
- Make your own survival pack to have ready when you and your friends want to take a hike.
Your pack should consist of:
- matches in waterproof containers
- a pocketknife
- unbreakable mirror for signaling rescuers
- high-energy bar or a few pieces of hard candy
- rainproof poncho
- space blanket
- reflective nylon cord
- first-aid supplies
- (Packs may need to be split up into two separate baggies to insure safety for younger Cultivators.)
- With the help of your mentoring Sister, a school or homeschool club, or local nature/outdoors group, take a hike.
- Make sure everyone in the group is clear on what to do and where to go if you are accidentally separated. Preparation is the key.
- To earn this badge, you must work as a student leader, working closely with the adult.
- While on your hike, identify five native plants and their properties as food, medicine, or poison.
- Also, go over how to use each item in your pack in case of an emergency.
January, 2010 Edition